Interview with Mauro Moro, author of Design Process





Title: Design Process
Author: Maura Moro
Publisher: PartridgeSingapore
Genre: Reference/General
Format: Ebook
My design process is not only a handbook full of useful tools and kits. It is also an act of love to design. It is a prayer for design to get back to its glory days when it made sense. It is an appeal to the younger designers! Don’t surrender to the status quo who wants you just as worker ants! Don’t lose your inner voice and your passion for design! Don’t get comfortable in the prevailing conformism! Ask! Seek! Find! Discover new ways, never settle against the pre-cooked solutions, predictable patterns and pre-set goals! Go beyond! Make the impossible!

INTERVIEW:

Do you listen to music while writing? If so, what do you listen to?

Of Course! When possible, I always listen to music while writing. Depending on the subject I am writing, I choose the right background music to help me with my elaborations. My favourite music while writing is the Nocturnes of Chopin - Piano solos. I love these ones, and I am never tired to listen to. Another favourite is Dvorak Symphony n.9 From the New World. I love Janacek Sinfonietta. Another perfect selection is the Overtures of Gioacchino Rossini. So powerful and funny! Otherwise, I like to listen to Beethoven, Grieg, Shostakovich, Gerswhin, Prokoviev, Ravel, Camille Saint-Saëns, Rachmaninov, Aram Khachaturian, Hans Zimmer. 

In the alternative, a non-classical selection of music that inspires me while writing is Radiohead (In Rainbows album), Genesis (only the first 5 albums please!) and of course Pink Floyd (any album!).

 

Do you have any suggestions for upcoming writers?

Well, I am an upcome writer too! But with all my modesty, my only recommendation is to try not to annoy the readers: we live in a totally distracted society. We are not longer able to focus appropriately on what we do, in what we read. Therefore, my advice is to write something catchy, with humour, easy to read, light and with great potential to catch the attention of the readers. 

 

What is it you like to do when you are not reading/writing?

A lot of things: spend time with my sons and wife. Sketching, painting, playing my piano! Watch a good movie, better if in good company! Cook dinner for my family and friends! Have a walk into the green (if possible). Have some friends at home with a good bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon or Malbec.

 

Is there an author/authors that have inspired you?

I am not a very big reader. I wish I have more time for that. But I admire some writers, among Italo Calvino because he was a great observer and his unbelievable capacity of description! Another writer I admire is Jose Saramago for his prolific writing and for his abstraction! I admire them not only for their writing abilities but fundamental because they were free men, free to write what they thoughts and to live their way against the conformism of the status quo.

 

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

You won't believe it, but I wanted to be a cook! My mother is a great cook! At home, we didn't need to get out to restaurants to have a great meal! I was fascinated by her cooking talent, and I wanted to emulate her! I remember to admire the cooking process and of course, I dreamed of becoming a great chef! Maybe it is because of that I always use cooking examples to explain the design!

 

 How do you/would you react to a bad review of your book?

With a smile. Firstly a bad review is still a review! That means somebody actually took the time for reading my text and my ideas pushed him/her to write back to me. And that is already positive! Secondly, I will take it as a challenge! I can only be confident with my ideas if I can defend them against any criticism, by using logic, argumentation and be as intellectually honest as possible. Now: a critic is always positive because it helps to reinforce your idea. A comment or opinion is something different, personal and subjective. Most of the times are not necessary to argue. Therefore we have to be wise enough to distinguish between critic reviews and simple opinions

0 comments:


up